The purpose of the Legacy Business Registry is to recognize that longstanding, community-serving businesses can be valuable cultural assets to the University District. In addition, our organization intends that the Registry be a tool for providing educational and promotional assistance to Legacy Businesses to encourage their continued viability and success.
Note: This program is currently in development, and the specifics on this page are in draft form, open to general feedback.
Business Eligibility Criteria
A Legacy Business is a business that has been nominated by a member of the U District Small Businesses Steering Committee and has determined it is a legacy based on the following criteria:
- The business has operated in University District for 30 or more years, with no break in operations exceeding two years. If the business has operated in the University District for more than 20 years but less than 30 years it may still satisfy this criteria if the U District Small Businesses organization finds that the business has significantly contributed to the history or identity of our neighborhood or community and, if not included in the Registry, the business would face a significant risk of displacement.
- The business has contributed to our neighborhood's history and/or our identity.
- The business is committed to maintaining the physical features or traditions that define the business, including craft, culinary, or art forms.
The Registration Process
- A community stakeholder submits a letter of nomination to the U District Small Businesses Steering Committee.
- Along with the letter of nomination, the business applicant submits an application to the U District Small Businesses Steering Committee along with the filing fee.
- Once the application is determined to be completed, the application is reviewed as to whether the business meets the requirements of item number two under the Business Eligibility Criteria.
- A final hearing is scheduled by the U District Small Businesses Steering Committee. The Committee will hear public testimony and determine if the business meets the criteria for legacy registration. The Committee will then vote whether to certify the business for the Legacy Business Registry.
Instructions for Submission
- Register the business online.
- Submit a letter of nomination to the U District Small Businesses Steering Committee.
- Pay the application fee of $50 by non-refundable check, payable to "U District Small Businesses".
- Complete the Legacy Business application online (pending).
The application consists of the following sections:
- Business and Applicant Information;
- Business Location(s);
- Disclosure Statement;
- Written Historical Narrative; and
- Supplemental Historical Documents (photo, articles, etc.).
Featured Small Business
Seattle's Oldest Espresso Bar Est. 1975For over 40 years Cafe Allegro has been the touchstone for Seattle coffeehouses. With a timeless brick interior, weathered dark wood and ample seating, Cafe Allegro has been the home way from home for thousands of folks around the world. Featuring Seattle style coffees, bold blends that warm you up like a well worn flannel on a drizzly day... Read more >
There are no upcoming events scheduled at the moment. Please check back later.